DOES HIBERNATION DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER MOTHERBOARD?

edited July 2012 in Computers
DOES HIBERNATION DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER MOTHERBOARD?<br /><br />|By Emmanuel Nwosu, for VESTERconcept|<br /><br />AS a computer engineer cum VESTERconcept columnist lots of people have complained to me that they have one or more problems with their personal computers due to hibernation, that left me wondering if hibernation actually damages a computer. As a matter of fact, I hate shutting down my laptop because of the time it takes to start up and the time taken to restore my browser tabs which may be up to fifteen minutes sometimes.<br /><br />Hibernation saves electrical power. After hibernating, the hardware is completely powered down (just like for a regular shutdown). Therefore a hibernated machine uses no more electrical power than one which is switched off. Meanwhile, hibernation is a means of avoiding the burden of saving unsaved data before shutting down and restoring all running programs after powering back on. Hibernation is used in computers, which have limited battery power available. It can be set to happen automatically on a low battery alarm. Most desktops also support hibernation, mainly as a general energy saving measure.<br /><br />Hibernating your computer is a very good way to save your work but people often try to convince me that it’s going to damage my motherboard eventually. Is there any truth to this? Is it a practice one should avoid?<br />First, let me try to tell you what happens when your system goes into hibernation. What most people do not<br />Read more » http://www.vesterconcept.com/2012/06/does-hibernation-damage-your-computer.html<br />