Should You Use JAMB Change of Course/Institutions

With JAMB UTME Result 2012 announced and most candidates not comfortable about their result are considering their options. One of the top questions we get on our Facebook fan page is about JAMB change of course/institution which enables candidates to change the course and/or institution they initially chose when registering for JAMB UTME.<br /><br />Most of the candidates want to know whether their current score will be enough to secure admission for them in their institution/course of choice or whether they should change their course or institution. I will attempt to answer this question here.<br /><br />However, I will like to point out that I do not work for JAMB neither do I represent JAMB. So, my advice should be considered or completely disregarded. However, having monitored and documented JAMB exams for the past 4 years I believe my advice should be taken very seriously.<br /><br />I start by saying that if you scored below 160, you should forget about getting admission into public schools. You should be targeting private schools with such scores. If you scored less than 180, you should forget (or focus less) university education and focus more on polytechnics.<br /><br />Now lets go into change of course:<br /><br />My first recommendation is that if you chose a Federal University, but scored less than 200, you should change your first and second choice institution to a State University. Most Federal Universities had 200 as their cutoff mark last year I expect it to be the same this year.<br /><br />Although some Federal Universities like FUTO and UDU had 180 as their cutoff mark and a few others had 180 as cutoff mark for a few courses last year, this year may be different with 45% of candidates scoring 200 and above this year compared to 40% last year. So, to be on the safer side, change your institution to a State University if you scored less than 200 in UTME 2012.<br /><br />My second recommendation is if you chose a highly competitive course in a highly competitive Federal University and you scored less than 220, you should consider changing to another course or trying a less competitive federal university.<br /><br />For the past two years UNILORIN has demanded 240 for medicine, 220 for some courses like Engineering, Accounting, and a few other courses and 200 for the rest. There are also other universities with similar post UTME cutoff policy.<br /><br />So, the ball is in your court.<br /><br />UTME 2012 Result<br />
The Truth is Out There.