Details of the Mound in the Mound System of Sewage Treatment

edited December 1969 in Civil Engineering
A mound system is commonly used in places where the traditional septic tank cannot be used. <br /> <br />In the mound system the mound itself is an important component. It is carefully constructed above the ground. It consists of layers of predetermined depth. The depth of the natural soil to the limiting layer is determined first. The natural soil should be at least 24 inches above the limiting layer. To equal the minimum required soil depth of 4 feet, a layer of specially sized sand is placed on top of the natural soil. The sand is then covered by a layer of gravel surrounding the pipes for the pressure dosed distribution system. The gravel is then covered by a construction fabric and a layer of soil which protects the entire mound from freezing. Plants or grass can be grown on this layer of sand to prevent erosion. Trees or shrubs should not be grown on the mound as its roots may clog the pipes in effluent distribution systems. The sides of the mound are sloped.<br /> <br />For an efficient mound construction project appropriate techniques should be used. The site of the mound should be carefully prepared by mowing the grass and raking away the leaves. To roughen the surface, the area for the mound is chisel plowed in preparation for the sand layer. Soil under and just down slope of the mound should not be compacted. After the construction, a diversion ditch is needed just upslope from the mound to divert the surface runoff around the mound.<br /> <br />Each Kerala apartment is trying to look for better options for their sewage treatment. A proper study of the existing soil conditions should be made to choose the right method.<br />

Comments

• Well, there are many design alternative to septic mound systems, such as installing other advanced wastewater treatment systems, evaporation transpiration systems, and others. But these are costly and don't make sense if you already have a properly functioning, recently installed septic mound system!
  • The information you shared in the post related to the mound system is very nice and useful to me. I am glad I visited here and gathered a huge resource. I will look forward to it. I appreciate your post.<br />____________________<br />Click for the information regarding plastic feet | nylon bushing .